Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Next Always by Nora Roberts

I was excited to start Nora Roberts Boonsboro trilogy. I read a past trilogy of hers called the Key Trilogy and I loved them. They had her regular romance theme but combined a supernatural spin. It made the books even better. So when I heard that this new trilogy also had a slight supernatural twist I was excited.

Unfortunately I was not very impressed with this book. It is about three brothers and their mother who bought an old historic building that had seen better days in the center of a small town. Together they are remolding it to be a romantic Inn. The beginning of the story focused a lot on the remodeling of the building into an Inn. The in depth descriptions of the Inn didst bother me, she did a very good job describing each room and how the decorating progressed. They sounded very romantic and I wouldn't mind staying in a Inn like that myself. The problem was that the story did not go back and forth between a romance and the Inn, for at least the first half of the book it was all she seemed to talk about. What type of tub was in the bathrooms, where the bed was going to go.

The romance between one of the brothers and one of the shop owners in the town did not get serious until very late in the story. Once it got going it was good, but considering I had to wait so long it wasn't an enjoyable read. I was excited about the ghost in the Inn too, but besides some occasional smells and doors opening by themselves, she didn't play much of a role in the book until the very end when everything picked up. I would have liked it if we learned a little bit about her and who she was. I am assuming that it will be discussed later on, but Roberts didn't give us any type of clue that may make the reader want to continue on with the trilogy to find out more.

For the moment I am not planning on reading the second book that just came out a few weeks back, The Last Boyfriend. Maybe later if I'm not interested anything else I might give it another chance.

No comments: