Friday, August 3, 2012

Odd Interlude 1 2 and 3

I was so excited that the new Odd Thomas book was coming out, that when I saw Dean Koontz had also written a novella to take place between the last book and Odd Apocalypse I quickly purchased it. I was a little disappointed by the price. At two dollars plus tax each by the time you have read all three installments you have almost paid the same price you would for a full sized paperback novel. Despite this is was a good length and did not feel too short.

The story was great, it felt like a full sized novel and not at all like a rushed novella to gain interest before the real story came out.

Odd and Annamarie arrive at a truck stop that features small cottages behind to rent in order to take a rest while you travel. Feeling that they were drawn there for a reason Odd decides to look around and discovers a great evil lurking unseen. The unknown creature wants to enter Odds mind and control him, and has been terrorizing the residence of Harmony Corner for years. With the help of a young girl and an unexpected ally Odd tries to free the family from the grasps of a creature that none of them have ever seen.

This short story had action and humour, my two favourite things about the Odd Thomas novels, as well as two new characters that I really liked and hope I will see again sometime. I finished the books quickly because I was intrigued to see what exactly was living in the top cottage, and how Odd was going to kill it. I have to say that the guy has some good luck, but at least he recognizes it himself.

If you love Odd, but aren't quite ready to spend twenty dollars on the hardcover, you should get this novella for a quick Odd fix. I should point out that this is an e-book only, sorry.

No comments: