Friday, October 12, 2012

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald


The Great GatsbyI read The Great Gatsby in anticipation of the upcoming movie. I was not expecting too much. I find that classic books can be hit or miss, some of them I really like while others I find boring. This book was one that I liked. One of the great things about it was that it did not read as an older book. The content and storyline was still relevant and it could easily have taken place in the modern world.

The book is a romance novel and a man's unconditional love for a women and how it ruled his life and ultimately caused his downfall. I liked how the story was not told from the perspective of the lover or his attraction, but instead from the view point of his neighbour and friend. Because you hear the story from an outsider you are open to interpret the characters actions. Some people reading the story may feel different then others about the main characters and their actions. I personally felt sorry for Gatsby but also considered him a fool.

I am very excited to see the movie and how Leonardo DiCaprio will play the character. He seems to do well in movies that are period pieces from the early 20th century.


No comments: