Sunday, February 5, 2012

Hotel Vendome by Danielle Steel

Hotel VendomeThis is a very nice father/daughter book. I was surprised how much I liked it. I've read two of her books before but didn't really enjoy them. I found them boring and felt as if nothing really happened. Although this book is the same format, I was so engrossed in the story. The story follows a single father who owns a hotel in New York and his daughter Heloise. The book is very touching because Hugues loves his daughter so much, and would do anything for her. His whole life is occupied by the hotel and his daughter, that he doesn't have time for much else. Despite her lack of a mother, Heloise grows up in a loving atmosphere, full of people who love her and mother figures that only want the best for her.

This is a romance if I ever read one. Its the love between a father and daughter, and how their deep connection effects their personal lives. Like any family Hugues and Heloise have problems. Sometimes when you try everything to protect your children from hurt, your end up causing the pain you never wanted them to experience.

This book is also a coming of age story of a young girl. Its about the pains of growing up. It's about becoming an adult and learning that your parents are people too, with their own feeling and faults. Heliose has to learn to adjust to the adult world she finds herself in. At first I found her character rude and stubborn. She acts a little spoiled at times but no different I guess then any teenage girl. This book reinforces the idea that love doesn't have a limit, it grows, and has different forms.

I would really recommend this book as a touching drama about an unconventional family. It's loving and sweet, even if you don't like Danielle Steels, I think you will enjoy this story.

No comments: