Monday, April 9, 2012

The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen

I bought this book because I read other blogs raving about it, then I saw it on the best books of 2011 list. Now that I finished it I understand why everyone loved it so much. It was a great book. I finished it on the way to and the way back from my parents house for Easter.

When I first started it I was under the impression that it was a mystery novel. A mystery does exist in the story, it is what brings the two main characters together. Paxton and Willa's grandmothers were best friends as children, even as their lives took different paths they continued to be there for each other no matter what. When Paxton restores Willa's old family house which had been in ruins since her grandmothers teen years, a skeleton is uncovered buried under a peach tree. Paxton and Willa's curiosity about what happened many years ago brings them together.

This book is about friendship, and what it means to be a real friend. It also is about being true to yourself and following the path that you want to take, despite what other may want from you. I liked the two relationships that the characters had, they were both very different but had the same underlining problems. The two unlikely friends made a perfect pair.

The most endearing part of the book which made it stand out from other romance novels I've read lately was the touch of magic that was delicacy weaved into the storyline. The way that it was Incorporated was so subtle that most of the time the characters didn't even realize that it existed. It was like a slight whisper from the past. The grandmothers believed in it, and they told their granddaughters of the magic surrounding the traveling salesman, but it was always dismissed as folklore and superstition. The author included it by slight smells in the air and unexplained sounds, in a way that the characters didn't seem to see the significance but the reader did.

I encourage you to pick up this book. Like me you will probably find yourself reading it every chance you get.

No comments: