Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Before I go to Sleep by S.J Watson


I just started this book on Monday and I am done already. I took the train to visit my parents so had lots of time to read uninterrupted.

I really liked this book! It started off a little slow. The main ccharacter Christine wakes up every morning with no memory of the past. Each day she has be told her past, and relive all the pain of what had happened to her. (similar like the movie Memento) The book starts in the present day when Christine gets a phone call from a doctor, who tells her that she has a diary hidden in the house that will explain everything to her. From that point on we read Christine's diary starting a few weeks in the past. The book had me hooked because each day Christine learns more and more about the past she has forgotten. As she starts to learn more and is able to retain it through the use of the diary, new questions keep arising. A mystery begins to unfold, and like Christine I was unsure who she could trust in her life. Lies are being told and truths are kept hidden from her, knowing she will forget it all the next morning. In the third part of the book you finish reading the diary and are back in the present day, with all the knowledge she had collected over the past few weeks. Its at this point she must use all the collected information and finally discover what is going on.

The last part of this book was great. Everything she learns all comes together in a surprising and exciting conclusion. Unfortunately the ending really disappointed me. When I finish a book I expect everything to be tied up nicely. The mystery was resolved but the fate of the characters was left open. It reminded me of the end of inception. Were they in a dream the whole time or not? This book would make a great movie. I checked IMDB and it looks like they are thinking of making one but nothing has been decided yet.

No comments: