Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Fifty Shades Series by E.L James





I am going to combine my reviews for Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed into one post. I read the three books back to back, so where one ended and the next began is a blur to me.

My review of these two book are similar to what I said for the first. What was different in Darker, was that we learn more about Christians past, which helps a lot in understanding the way he acts. In Freed we get to see them build a life together, and how Ana deals with Christians moods and how Christian learns to take part in a real relationship.

I can say for sure that the third one was my favourite. It went beyond the romance genre and added some action to the story. I stayed up past my bedtime a few times because I couldn't put the book down until I knew everything was going to be okay. A lot of people who liked the first two books didn't like the third as much, but I thought it was good.



Instead of reviewing I would like to address some of the negative complaints the books have generated. I know not everyone is going to like it, and that is okay. I just don't like when people go all out and bash something. It has faults of course, I am not going to deny that. I agree that is was not the best written book I've read, but I choose my favourite books based on the story more then the writing style. I also agree that Ana can be very immature at times, but that is her character, if you changed that she wouldn't be the same person. Also her inner goddess could be really annoying.

In one guy's review I read, he was very disturbed about the contract in the first book. Now this I can see both sides. If any normal guy was to ask for this I would have been very creeped out as well. But considering the extreme things he wanted to do I think I was a good idea to address what was and was not acceptable. So in case any lines were crossed you can go back and prove what you agreed too. As he said it was for her protection as well. Also in the case of being sticking rich I would like to have some guarantee my business is not going to be leaked all over the papers when the girl gets dumped.

I was also very offended when this same person claimed the reason the books were so popular was because Christian is very good looking, and if he was ugly they books wouldn't be as well received.. I would like to remind him that this is a book, and in fact we can not actually see Christian at all, if it was a movie I might agree more. And for his information I picture all main characters in books as very good looking, this book was no exception. I do not read or enjoy books more based on how the physical appearance of the characters is described, that is just stupid.

The next time I hear a guy complain about this book I might be tempted to point out that the really reason he hates them is because he doesn't understand women, and what they want. Loving these books does not mean you secretly want to be spanked, beaten, and controlled. It means you want a man who loves you unconditionally, wants the best for you, puts your happiness first (in and out of bed ), will do anything to protect you, and will change for you. The control freak aspect is disappointing, but everyone has faults and she handles it well.

Please leave me comments and let me know if you love or hate this series.

7 comments:

jen said...

definitely want to read these when i get home. just checked and they are at my local library, but there are 57 requests for the first one!

Kristin said...

I don't disagree with the premise of the books. I mean, it is what it is. But I don't like them because I think they are just poorly written, modeled after teen vampire fiction, and Ana is so dull. I mean, I can picture Kristen Stewart playing Ana in a movie version because KStew is so very dull when she plays Bella.

Kristin said...

Thank YOU, Michelle. For having a better reason for liking this series, other than "He's SO HOTT!"
:)
I wanted to reply to your email, but you have it hidden as "no reply comment blogger".
Have a great day!

online diploma said...

This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work.dwned scrownl

Im All In said...

The book could be reduced by a quarter by eliminating 2 phrases "don't bite your lip" and "Eat..." I did get tired of the Contract, and I don't care how sexual you are, no woman "O"s with every encounter. However, after reading the Dragon Tattoo series I wanted something mindless to read. So it served it's purpose. I won't be downloading books 2 and 3 though. I'm no prude...but I have read better written erotica. It's not a book I'd say "Must read"...it was just okay. Mind you, I'm in Vegas today and there must be at least 50 copies being read at the pool right now.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I m excited for the 50 Shades Of Grey Movie. I cant wait for releasing date
50 shades movie