Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen


I finished reading Mansfield Park yesterday. I really liked the storyline, and Fanny was the perfect heroine. She was quiet and sweet, and she never complained when her cousins and aunt treated her bad.  After finishing the book I took the time to watch the movie by BBC. I only had a few complaints about the movie. One was that it eliminated Fanny's brother from the story all together and instead had her writing letters to her sister Susan. I also thought it downplayed Edwards attachment to Mary, and made it look like he was pushed towards her and did not have any felling towards her at all. My interpretaion while reading the book was that Edward did in fact genuinely like Mary.

Like most Jane Austen novels the read was slow and took me a while to get through, but when the end comes I forget all the boring parts in the middle. All I can think about is the story itself. This is the fourth novel of hers I have read and I think this one has the best characters of them all. I think everyone dislikes Mrs. Norris, the aunt who is always putting Fanny down, but she makes a wonderfully villian in the story. I  aslo liked Henry Crawford's character as the man after everyones heart.

No comments: