Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

This book was recommended to me and at first I wasn't sure if I would like it. I had heard of Diana Gabaldon before (The Scottish Prisoner) but did not know anything about this series. The thing that made me decide to try it out was the time traveling aspect. The little bit of fantasy added interest to what sounded like a boring historical book, and made it into something potentially exciting and mysterious.

When I first started it I wasn't impressed, I liked the main character but I found her husband and their life a bore. She was taking up an interest in plants and herbs and her husband was researching his family tree. Neither which I find very interesting. The minute she stepped into Scotland in 1743 the entire feel of the book changed and I loved it.

Forced into a dangerous time with a war between the British and the Scottish Clans Claire's new life is focused on survival. She has to try and gain the trust of the people while at the same time lying about who she really is and where she is from. There is suspense and mystery everywhere as she slowly begins to learn the complicated relationships between the members of Castle Leoch. Claire becomes friends with a young Scot warrior Jamie Fraser, who takes it upon himself to protect Claire from the danger that she often finds herself in the middle of. Jamie's passion for Claire becomes undeniable and she finds herself torn between him and the husband she left behind.

Even though this book was very long I didn't notice the length while I was reading it. Most of the time the story flowed nicely and was never short on adventure. I liked Claire's strength and no nonsense attitude. Her stubbornness got her in a lot of trouble but it also saved her. This book is classified as a romance, but it was a tame version of one that isn't full of sex and has a great storyline besides their relationship.

Great book, I will read the rest of them.

No comments: