Thursday, September 22, 2011

Mile 81 by Stephen King

Before you read this review and decide you want to read it, I will point out that this is e-book only.

This was a typical short story by Stephen King. Here's my simple review. If you like his bazaar plots then you will probably like this story, but if you don't like the gore, blood, and the just plain weirdness that comes with him, then you won't.

In the middle of summer, a bored kid finds himself at an abandoned rest stop alone, with a bottle of vodka. While he is sleeping it off a station wagon pulls up, but no one gets out. Soon there are a line of cars at the rest stop, a cell phone lies unattended by the station wagon door, but is there anyone around, or even alive?

 I have read a few of his short stories before so knew what to expect. I've always considered them hit or miss, this one was closer to a hit, but not amazing. It had his typical "what the hell just happened" moments, and I kept reading it because you never know what could happen when it comes to his stories. One of the complaints I had was that the language was a little crude. I didn't like hearing the way that the one child spoke in the story. I like to imagine that children do not speak that way or have thoughts like that, until they are a least 18 years old.

If you love Stephen King then by all means read this short story. If you don't care for him or only like him sometimes, don't bother, its not his best work. Overall 3/5

No comments: