Friday, October 28, 2011

Coming Soon: Oct 31

Considering it is Halloween week starting Monday, I was hoping for some good horror books to come out. No such luck. Instead I have a new addition to a series about the witch that scared us all when we were young children.


Cover Image
It's the final book in the Wicked Series. When I first heard of the play Wicked I was very interested in the idea. I like when people take a well know story and try to update it for modern times, or tell "the real story" of what happened. I think its creative and always interesting. So after I found out they were books I immediately bought the first one and read it. I had mixed thoughts about it. First I found the story very interesting, I liked how the author did such a good job tying in the original story, and took all the facts we already knew and created a very different world but made it believable. While I respected the story, I found the book very slow. Although I wanted to know what happened for curiosity's sake, it did not hold my interest.  When I finally finished it I couldn't make my self go through reading the next ones. 
The problem could well be that I just bore easily. So, if you enjoy the books here's the details. Oz is still full of social unrest. Now it is up to Rain to take action. Elphaba's granddaughter was born at the end of Son of a Witch, and now she is old enough to continue the legacy amid all the chaos in Oz. Did I mention Dorthy was back?




Cover ImageNora Robert's next book is out, The Next Always. The first in her Inn Boonsboro Series, The Next Always follows Beckett, an architect whose family is remodeling a historic hotel in the town of Boonsboro, Maryland. But Beckett is interested in more then just updating this hotel, he also has his eyes on Clare, a young widow who just moved back to town, who he has wanted to kiss since he was fifteen.
While all the reviews note that Roberts did a great job of creating the perfect small town feeling, some said that the suspense in the book feels unnecessary, and at moments she spends too much time describing the details of restoring the hotel.








Cover ImageDannielle Steel's book Hotel Vendome, appears to be a romantic read of a young girls life from childhood to adulthood, as she attempts to follow in her father's footsteps and run one of the most elegant hotels in New York. Helois' father Hugues begged and borrowed enough money to buy an old and run down hotel on a quiet street in Manhattan, only to turn it into a world class luxury hotel. The hotel is the spot for the rich and famous and a great place for his family, but when his wife runs off with a rock star Hugues is left to raise their daughter on his own. She grows up happy, surrounded by stars, world travellers, and her father's employees who all adore her. The hotel is the centre of her universe, so in order to continue the family business she travels to hotel school in Switzerland. By the end of the novel both father and daughter find their life's transformed.

No comments: