Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The critics were right when they called The Night Circus a magical, enchanting story.

Reveurs are fans of the circus who are enchanted by its mysteriousness, and follow it around the world so they can experience it over and over, always finding new wonders. While reading the book I felt like a reveur, I loved the magic of the circus and after putting the book down, could not wait to visit it again.

I found the storyline only the secondary appeal of the book. The real wonder is the circus itself. The atmosphere that Morgenstern created is amazing. My favourite chapters were the one written in first person, they do not follow any of the characters, instead you take the place of a patron discovering a new tent. Morgenstern describes it so well that I can picture it, the smell of caramel in the air and the crunch of gravel under your feet. I wish the Cirques des Reves existed for real. I would recommend reading the book just to experience her imagination.

The story line between the main characters was good as well. Celia and Marco are dueling magicians, and the circus is their chessboard. But to the disapointment of their teachers they fall in love. I wouldn't call it a love story, even though the story was focused on how Marco and Celia  fall in love. There were too many other amazing characters for it to be just about them. One of my favourites was Baily. The story of a boy who doesn't quite fit in, falling in love with the circus. His story was one of fate, and reinforces that everyone has a purpose in life.

There were a few moments when I got confused with the timeline. Near the end of the book it jumps between 1901 and 1902. Once you get the hang of it, its not bad, but it took me a while and a little bit of turning back to see what year the chapter I just read took place in.

Great read 5/5


No comments: