Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Lethal by Sandra Brown

Lethal starts with the action right away, and doesn't slow down until the end of the book. I've read books by Sandra Brown before and always liked them because she has the action and adventure I like, but she also adds a little romance into her books, which I find a perfect combination. I am sometimes in the mood for romance but don't always want to read an entire book devoted to it. This way I get my action with a little bit of love story icing on top.

The minute the book starts Colborn and Honor are forced together trying to solve a mystery surrounding a crime ring, that traffics everything from drugs to women in and out of the Mexican border. Colburn is on the run after the murder of seven workers at a trucking company, and he is the main suspect. He threatens Honor and gives her no choice but to come along and help him. He is after the ring leader of the operation, known only as "The Bookkeeper", and he believes Honor has the key to breaking the whole thing down.

One of the things that kept me reading this book is that out of all the characters, you never know who is on The Bookkeepers pay list, and who is innocent. I suspected many people of being corrupt in the book, but was often mistaken. This books puts you in Honor's place and like her you are never sure who she can trust. Sandra Brown has written a very complex thriller, where discovering the truth is not easy, and leads the characters into many dead ends. But they are determined and keep searching all while being hunted by people who want to keep the secret hidden.

The final reveal on who The Bookkeeper was, is a little shocking. Mostly because I didn't see it coming and can't understand how they did it. Once the end comes everything is explained and all story lines are tied up nicely. (we are now sure who is, and is not a villain) The very end bothered me a little, I hate when books leave it up the the reader to decide what happened. It wasn't a big deal, since it was not related to the plot, but I still found it annoying.

No comments: