Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

When I started this book I knew it was for teenagers so wasn't expecting any profound insight or an in-depth story. In a way I was right, there wasn't any surprise plot twists. It was predictable, but so are most romances. That doesn't mean that is wasn't a great book. I was glued to the story and I loved Katniss' character. The other characters were a little weak, but that was OK because they weren't the focus of the book. 

One of the things I loved about it was the world that Collins created. I know this isn't an unique concept, a dystopian world controlled by the state, but I still thought her world was unique. I know this isn't how it is portrayed the book, but I pictured their world like a flower, with the capital in the center and the 13 districts surrounding it. I liked how each district had its own identity, how the goods that it produced shaped the skills and personalities of the people living within.

I loved Katniss (if you missed it the first time) the book did a great job of letting the reader get to know who she was. Her ability to distance herself from her emotions saved her life. She stayed calm and was able to observe her situation, because of this she learned a lot that she used later to her advantage. She wasn't completely cut off either, she still felt emotions, she just hid them from the public and only let them out in private. Yet this was also her weakness. At times she appeared cold to the other characters, and she hurt people who were important to her. I felt bad for her a times because I understood that she was only trying to protect herself and those around her. She may have appeared cold but it was just her way of dealing with the hard circumstances around her. She is a strong female character, who doesn't like that?

I also like how the book rewarded compassion. It did a good job of saying that when you are kind to others, even if its seems pointless at the time, it will come back later to help you when you most need it.

I thought this was a great book. It gave importance to the qualities kindness, resourcefulness, compassion, and braveness, and made them something you have to have in order to survive. All within the dangerous and brutal war that is the Hunger Games.

A 5/5
Buy it on Chapters/Indigo
Buy it on Amazon

No comments: