Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Buisness War

I'm browsing Kobo's top 50 books again, always looking for my next read, and I noticed that 'Art of War' is still near the top of the list. First I was worried that so many people were brushing up on their war strategies. Do they know something I don't? Then I looked it up and realized it focuses a lot on outsmarting your opponents so a physical fight is not necessary.

After a sigh of relief I wondered 'how many people are buying this for the listed price of $9.29?' The reason I ask this is because I know that this was one of the 100 free books that came with the original Kobo. Curious I searched the website.

The Art of WarWell, it turns out that there are many published versions of the book. (Not surprising) They range from two to thirteen dollars, and a free version. I knew it existed. The only major difference I see is the cover illustration. Now the free version does have a very ugly cover, plain red and white, not nearly as cool as the terracotta warriors on some of the others. The only reason I can see for buying it over getting it free, is that when your e-reader goes to sleep you have a cool picture of a stone statue on your screen.

Maybe you could leave your reader lying where your co-workers can see. (For reading on lunch breaks, not while you should be working) and when they comment on it  you can proudly say you are reading an ancient Chinese book on war strategy, and that it has often been applied to the competitive business world. Maybe then they will think twice before they try and pawn off their work to you, or steal your lunch from the company fridge.

No comments: