Sunday, July 3, 2011

Emma by Jane Austen

I like reading classics once in a while as well as best sellers, and only having read one Jane Austen novel previously thought I should try her once again. I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I was quick to assume that the book was going to be long and boring, but this was not the case. The language was not that hard to understand, as long as I didn't have anything to distract me like a TV or loud talking in the background, I could read it just as I would any modern novel.

Speaking of Emma's character at first I did not like her. I thought she was snobby and very concerned with a persons status. I understand that this was written in old England where prestige and birth right was important. But sometimes I was a little put back by her quick judge of character and her strong emphasis on manners.

This book's focus is on marriage and Emma's opinion of it.

I was torn at times as to the message Austen was trying to give in this novel. Emma was often concerned with a persons status in the community and who they should marry based on that. As the book progressed I felt that Emma was learning that perhaps marriage should be based on who you are compatible with, and who makes you happy. Yet all of the characters ended up marring within their rank and when they tried to search above their status were often left disappointed. So then perhaps Austen was trying to say that a person will find happiness only when they search in their own social circles.

Moving on to the book itself, there is one complaint that I have. Especially when starting out I found it very hard to keep track of all the characters and their names in the book. To make it easier for anyone wanting to read it I will explain a few of the main characters.

Firstly there is Mr. Woodhouse and his two daughters Emma and Isabella. Isabella is married to John Knightly. Miss Taylor/Mrs. Weston was their governess before she got married to Mr. Weston and moved out. Mr. Weston's son is Frank Churchill who went to live with his aunt (Mrs. Churchill) after his mother died.
John Knightley's brother Mr.Knightly lives close to the Woodhouse's house and is friends with Emma along with Mr. Elton.
Mrs. Bates and her daughter Miss Bates are friends with Mr. Woodhouse. Their niece/granddaughter (Jane Fairfax)  lives with her deceased fathers good friend from the military Mr. Campbell. She is staying with her aunt for the summer.
Emma's befriends Harriet Smith whose lineage in unknown.

Those are the most important characters that I found confusing at the beginning. Here's what I thought..

Ease of Reading: 3
I had to use a dictionary a few times to understand what was going on, and a few times I lost track who was speaking, but no one can complain that the book is not very well written.

Lasting Effect: 2
I did like the book, but I don't think it will stay with me long after I've finished it. I read one Jane Austen previously and don't remember one thing that happened in it. Yet if this book proves different I promise I will come back and change my opinion.

Amusement: 3
There are several awkward situations between the characters that were amusing. The fact that the characters are so refined though makes it hard to develop any humour that compares with modern stories.

Plot: 4
Austen developed a very integrated story between all the characters, with several twists and unexpected outcomes.

Length: 4
At the beginning I was worried that I would find the book unbearably long, but as I got acquainted and comfortable with the characters the book proved to be the perfect length.

Characters: 4
I base this mostly on Emma's character since the book is all from her point of view. She was a very believable person who grew and learned through the book. Hearing her every thought and opinion you get to know her very well and respect her by the end.

Good book. Like always :) 4/5

No comments: