Saturday, July 2, 2011

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

If you don't like Harry Potter or Twilight it is possible you will not like this book. It is a fantasy story, but written for adults. When I started this novel I was very much into it. I found the "science" behind it very intriguing and creative. To start with I should mention that the book is based on three different types of supernatural beings living among us: witches, vampires, and daemons. (Of course they are separated in society and taught not to interact. Naturally to add tension and danger between the characters.) The book goes in depth about the DNA differences between them, and I found it got very technical and confusing at times. The author does do a great job making the existence of these creatures very believable and explaining the evolution of them over history.

Harkness created a amazing world that is hard not to get drawn into. She created 3 very different species. They are mostly cliches; The dangerous, silent vampire, with the dark past, and the quirky, yet powerful witch. But being so strict in the traits of each species she created a world where it is impossible not to stand out if you are different.
The relationships between the characters grow slowly. At times it reminded me of 1800 England, no touching aloud, and of course the relationship grows stronger as they respect each others minds. But their interaction are also modern, because Diana, a witch and the books main character, is a strong independent woman. Along with the main character Harkness goes in depth with their families as well. Each family has very different identities. As you get to know them you learn to better understand the characters, where they have come from, and how it shaped who they are. Diana's aunts and her childhood house bring light-hearted humour to the book, which is needed to break up the tension and action.

I have to say it, but Diana's family reminds me of the aunts from "Sabrina the Teenage Witch", The TV show with Melissa Joan Hart.Yes, I watched that, and I loved it.

The book focuses on self discovery, accepting who you are and being proud of it, and falling in love and the struggles it involves.

 I must admit that the book is very long. I know you can see that by looking at it, but it was also noticeable long. I have read large books before and am so entangled in them I don't notice the length, but I did notice it in this book. She is a good writer and despite the length there is always something going on. It was just that sometimes I felt all the events were not necessary to the story. A few times it dragged. I eventually got to the point where every time I put it down I caught myself checking how much more was left.

Despite the length and the cliches it was still a great story, and deserves a good mark. 4/5

Lasting Effect: 3
Amusement: 4
Plot: 5
Creativity: 4
Length: 3
Characters: 4

Buy it at Amazon
Buy it at Chapters/Indigo: 34% off now!

No comments: