Thursday, July 14, 2011

L.A Noire: The Collected Stories

If you don't pay attention to video games I'd like to point out that this book is related to the recent game L.A Noire. In the game you play a cop in 1950's L.A, solving your way through the gangs, murders, drugs, and arson's in the city. When I picked up this book I expected it to go deeper into the cases that you deal with in the game. Perhaps reveal the story's behind the murders, and what really happened. Instead this book is a collection of short stories that take place during the same time as the games plot. There are a few related points, such as the Polar Bear ice company. The book explores deeper into the company showcased in the game, but covers a non related incident.

Many of the stories end abruptly, without explaining what happened. When I read a story I prefer to finish knowing what has happened and why, so I don't enjoy short stories that leave unanswered questions.

Don't get me mistaken this is not a bad book. There were a few of the stories that I enjoyed such as 'School for Murder.' This story focused on one character and developed him well, it had a clear ending, and even featured some surprises and unexpected developments. Besides that the book wasn't for me. Luckly it was pretty short, and I got it free online.  2/5

Lasting Effect: 1/5
Plot: 2/5
Creativity: 3/5
Length: 3/5
Characters: 2/5

Buy it for Kindle
Buy it for Kobo

No comments: