Monday, July 18, 2011

Quinn by Iris Johanson

As you know I started Quinn very excited. The book continues exactly where it left off in Eve. Following the pattern in Eve, Quinn begins by establishing the relationship between Eve and Quinn. This book starts by introduces us to when Quinn and Eve first meet, and we follow them as they get to know each other and become a couple. I'm feeling a lot better about Quinn's character now that I've got to know him better in this book. He still has the character traits that I was uncomfortable with in the last book, but this time I understand him better, and because the majority of the book is in his voice I can see why he makes the decisions he does and what he is thinking during them. He still has the Superman complex, where he must swoop in and save the day, and is always intent on protecting Eve from any harm. I found this annoying and although I still don't like this part of him, he is still a good character.

I read the first half of the book quickly because I just wanted to get through it and into the good present day stuff. Although it was nice to see how Quinn and Eve met, it wasn't very exciting since we already know that they get married. It all took place right after Eve lost  Bonnie, so the backdrop to their relationship was Eve's search for Bonnie's killer. Separately this could be a good story line but didn't hold my interest since I also know that Eve is not going to find the killer.

After the well written, yet un-climactic beginning I finally got to the present day. From here the book picks up and I couldn't put it down. Catherine plays a bigger role in this book then she does the last. This book focuses on two searches, the search for John, and the search for another possible killer.

The book ends in a spooky setting, with gripping action, and high tension. Then it stops, right in the middle of it all. I was even more disappointed then last time. At least in Eve they wrapped up the search for Paul Black, then left us with a new mystery and a new enemy. This time nothing is concluded. And the name of the next installment... Bonnie. Judging by the formats of the previous books, I'm going to assume that this one will start with Bonnie's perspective right before she is taken. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope this is the last one and it wont be followed by another book titled Catherine or Gallo.

Ok, its getting a 5/5 too, because of how much I am anticipating the next one.

Ease of Reading: 4/5
Lasting Effect: 4/5
Amusement: 5/5
Creativity: 4/5
Length: 4/5
Characters: 5/5

Buy it on Amazon
Buy it on Chapters/Indigo : 35% off right now!

No comments: